The mounting issue of climate change around the world has become increasingly concerning. The benefits the cloud offers this industry involving data storage are more notable — and relevant — than ever. On-premise data centers are at risk with an increasing number of natural disaster threats due to climate change. Yet only 10 percent of enterprises have discontinued their on-premise data centers, leaving 90 percent of companies in harm’s way.
Moving all data storage to the cloud eliminates the risk of data being destroyed by an unpredictable natural disaster. By 2025, 80 percent of businesses will favor the transition of moving data to the cloud instead of storing it in a physical center, according to Gartner. It is time companies around the world recognize the threat climate change poses for secure data storage and disaster recovery and consider this in their data storage strategies.
Disaster Recovery as a Service
Many companies are still hesitating over making a complete leap to the cloud. Disaster recovery as a service works as a smooth transition into the cloud, allowing companies to ease into cloud usage. This means organizations can use the cloud as a DR site for on-premise IT workloads. This is just a start for companies to eventually transition completely to the cloud.
More benefits of cloud storage
Nearly a quarter of companies consider themselves data-driven, according to an IDC report. This means that flexibility is a crucial part of their business. If a specific company is data-driven, it’s necessary to consider changes that would benefit the company further down the road. Despite the benefits of the cloud, it’s important to consider the cost of transferring data storage. The cloud is not the cheapest option. However, when you consider that companies risk to lose $250,000 for every hour of downtime, this cost is put into perspective.
While noting the cost of transferring data, we can still see the benefits of the cloud that make the cost well worth it — like how it decreases risks of disaster, and how it is energy efficient.
Cloud-based DRaaS contains some intriguing components because the way a DR site works is 99.9 percent dormant, waiting to activate during a disaster. So when all of the infrastructure is not being used, it is constantly building up energy as time goes by. Eventually all of that consumption will come from renewable energy that the cloud-based systems have been saving up.
In addition to the fact of climate change being a threat to on-premise sites, product development teams using cloud-based systems users were overall more successful compared to users using physical storage for their data. This provides the point that the cloud provides benefits in all different areas: disaster recovery, saving energy and product development.
Such studies suggest that moving to the cloud is only going to keep happening over the next few years. With natural disasters increasing, it’s time we consider these benefits! MDL fully supports incorporating the cloud into business use, and can introduce your company to the benefits.
Learn more about MDL’s cloud services on our website.