Thirty-five years ago, the very first piece of malware came into existence. Created by a 15-year old programmer named Rich Skrenta, “Elk Cloner” was a boot sector virus that targeted the Apple II and spread via floppy disk. A fun prank at the time, Skrenta’s creation would serve as the inspiration for the malicious malware peddled by today’s cybercriminals. With the celebration of World Backup Day on March 31, read on as we detail the importance of protecting your business from malware attacks and why a managed backup solution is the best security option for your data.
At its core, malware is a category of malicious code. According to TechTarget, there are several different types of malware, each containing a set of characteristics. Viruses are the most common type of malware, defined as a program that can execute itself and spreads by infecting other programs or files. Worms are a type of malware that can self-replicate without a host program. A Trojan horse is a dangerous program that’s designed to appear as legitimate; once activated following installation, Trojans can execute their damaging functions on a given computer.
When it comes to securing your business data from these dangerous viral programs, Guiding Tech provides several steps users can take to better protect themselves, such as:
- Always access the internet with an updated web browser.
- Regularly scan your externally stored files.
- Always download online software from a legitimate, trusted source.
- Delete media files that require additional software to open.
Businesses are also advised to take extra precautions to protect their treasure troves of sensitive and valuable data. One sign of a well-run IT department is that no data of any importance is lost. Ever.
That’s why creating backup files of your organization’s sensitive data is absolutely crucial. As your business continues to grow and scale upward, managing these backups can become a fragmented task being performed in-house by individual IT staffers. Naturally, this process can become time consuming and even inaccurate.
Businesses of every size and scope are turning to the security and convenience that a managed backup solution can provide. A backup solution from MDL Technology gives you a wide range of management options. More specifically, our solutions can:
- Automate the entire process of data backups to ensure that there’s no guess work about backups and no chance for human error.
- Ensure that you have access to your backed up data in a specified time frame subject to your needs and labeled in our service level agreement.
- Manage backup operations via a central portal. Bandwidth utilization and backup schedules will be managed completely by us.
- Provide detailed reports to administrators, allowing them to monitor the state of their backups. A complete audit trail will provide you information about its use, and our own administrators do not have access to your data.
If you have questions regarding the management of your backups, give us a call at 816-781-3006 or visit us online to learn more. We will take care of your backups so you can take care of your business.