Does it seem like your business is being attacked from all angles? With the internet being so accessible, your data is too. According to a recent Forbes article, data breaches in the US have risen dramatically in the past few years.
In just a year span, data breaches went from 36.6 million in 2016 to 197.6 million in 2017. That is a 161 million increase in breaches. But that increase does not compare to the recorded number of breaches in 2018. A record high of 446.5 million files were exposed last year.
Breaches are extremely costly to your company. The average data breach costs a company $3.9 million in repairs. No matter how big or small your business is, you are constantly a target for attackers. To prevent those “if only” moments, these steps will help you take proper precautions to avoid becoming the next target of a data breach:
- Good internet hygiene
- Extensive use of encryption can save you $360,000 according to an IBM Security report. Using a virtual private network, VPN, is one way to ensure encryption. This service reroutes all your online activity through an encrypted network. It acts like a privacy screen and does not allow onlookers to know who you are. A VPN will help keep your data safe and prevent attacks from the middle man.
- Host site on hypertext transfer protocol secure
- Allow your customers to host your site on Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure, HTTPS. This will allow customers to know that you value security.
- Business accounts need two-factor authentication
- Using a two-factor authentication for login is a good idea to make sure the person who is trying to use a website is actually that person. Sending a one time security code after a person logs in with their username and password can help keep your business safe. Along with a two-factor autherizor, try to change your passwords regularly.
Companies that use digital spaces are vulnerable everyday. With more and more data breaches happening regularly, it is important to take these steps to help prevent your company from having to deal with millions of dollars in unnecessary expenses.
At MDL Technology, your company’s security is our number one concern. By offering services such as 24/7 help desk support, network monitoring and offsite data backups, we help ensure that you don’t need to stress about private information becoming public. Learn more about the services we offer by visiting our website.